Hua Lamphong railway station in Bangkok.
Most of the trains in Thailand depart from Hua Lamphong – it is the central hub of rail traffic in Thailand. In its significance it may be compared to Suvarnabhum Airport.
At the station, you can find many different services:
- Information window This is where you can get a printed schedule of all trains in English and Thai. The staff will also try to answer all your questions.
- Cash Counters. If you need a ticket for the same day you can visit any of the counters located on both sides under the portrait of His Majesty The King. The tickets will be issued in your name, so please bring your passport or a similar form of photo-ID.
- Pre-sale Counters Tickets can be bought between 1 and 60 days before the planned date of travel. Very short routes (such as Bangkok to Ayutthaya, Hua Hin or Pattaya) can be bought only one day in advance, short routes (like Bangkok to Chumphon, Phitsanulok or Korat) can be booked 30 days in advance. Trips starting in Bangkok with a duration of more than six hours are usually released 60 days before the departure date (there are some exceptions). The office is open every day from 08:30 to 16:00.
- Luggage Storage If you have nowhere to leave your luggage, you can use the luggage room in the corner opposite the entrance to the tracks, which is open daily from 04:00 to 23:00. The price varies from 20 to 100 baht per piece per day. There are also newly installed storage boxes right when you leave the escalator coming from the MRT subway. Unfortunately we can not keep your inside our office in DOB Building.
- Restaurants At the station are several places where you can eat or buy food and bottled beverages to take with you. Next to the entrance on 2nd floor is a Black Canyon coffee. Or cross the road (carefully) and enjoy your dinner at the Hong Kong Noodle Restaurant. Air-conditioned rooms are on the upper floor.
- A Taxi service is located on the left side of the station. Avoid tuk-tuks. They charge you ludicrous prices and often do not know your destination, so they bring you somewhere else. Somewhere else is usually a tailor or gem shop where they get a commission. Metered taxis are safer, cheaper and come with air conditioning.
- WC / showers are located in the corner of the lobby behind the information desk (but they have been under renovation recently and are sometimes replaced by toilet trucks next to the subway entrance). As always in crowded public places it is better to avoid this area if you can.
- The 12Go office is located directly opposite the Hua Lamphong Railway station, but not inside the station. Please take the MRT (Subway) exit number 1. Do not try to cross the road, please take the air-conditioned underpass from the subway. Our office is 30 meters from the subway exit number 1 in the DOB Building, ground floor. We operate from ~ 10:00 – 20:00 every day.
Some trains depart from Thon Buri – but that’s a whole different story.